married life

married life

Friday, February 1, 2013

Missing Charlie

You ever have one of those day where you can't get someone off your mind, and no matter where you look or what you hear it always brings that person to your mind? Well today has defiantly been one of those days, actually this whole week. Ever since we visited Charlie's parents over MLK weekend, things has constantly reminded me of him and somehow he fits into just about every conversation we are having.

Last weekend MB and I were in the dreaded downtown Portland area going to have a little spa day, needless to say we couldn't fit parking anywhere so we found ourselves driving in circles, passing the same buildings, restaurants, cars, people and the 'charlie van'! We were behind this crazy yellow eye catching van that read "Charlie's Juice" and of course it brought a little smile to my face. Then we ended up passing the van again when MB said something about the Van out of no where, so I turn my head and of course the first thing I see was 'Charlie' printed in bold black ink on the side of this yellow van. I wish I would have snapped a picture because it was a pretty cool van.

Then a couple nights ago Andy and Erin came over to our house and immediately noticed the aquarium with Naaman's iguana smack dab in the middle of our living room, and of course this sparked conversations about 21st & Taylor and all of the crazy animals they had back then, and how much Charlie loved his snake and to feed him those dang nasty rats! (and I am sure you are wondering why is there an iguana in the middle of our living room...well the back of our house is too cold so somehow Naaman was successful in guilt-tripping me into agreeing that he could be in the living room until it gets warmer! Aww I am counting down the days)

And then today I was listening to music at work, and randomly for no reason pressed the button on my phone and the wallpaper picture of Charlie and I wresting came on my phone, and before I would really look at the picture Miranda Lambert's song Me and Charlie Talking came on! Listening to this song instantly brought me back to the dorm days when Mallory and I had the biggest crushes on Naaman and Charlie. I can vividly remember Mallory and I driving to the Beach and rockin' out to this song between our many conversations of......

"Do you think he likes me?"
"Well, do you think I should call him?'
"Aww he asked if I wanted to go get stir-fry with him!"
"Okay you call Charlie so I can see Naaman tonight"
"You call Naaman so I can see Charlie tonight."


Even writing this brings the biggest smile to my face, its crazy thinking he is gone...is it even possible? Okay this horrible nightmare is over, come out now Charlie...its not funny anymore! But it is getting easier, we have so many great memories with him and we are so blessed he was in our lives!

Me and Charlie boy used to go walking, sittin' in the woods behind my house
When being lovers meant a stolen kiss and holding hands with nobody else around
Charlie said he wanted to get married but we were only ten so we'd have to wait
He said we'd never let our love run dry like so many do these days

So you treat your love like a firefly, like it only gets to shine for a little while
Catch it in a mason jar with holes on the top and run like hell to show it off
Oh, promises were made when we'd go walkin', that's just me and Charlie talking

Charlie always said he'd like to leave here, so he turned eighteen and he left our sleepy town
Letters came and went and I kept waiting for Charlie to come back and bring the life he'd found
Funny how time and distance change you the road you take don't always lead you home
You can start a love with good intentions and then you look up and it's gone

So you treat your love like a firefly like it only gets to shine for a little while
Catch it in a mason jar with holes in the top and run like hell to show it off
Oh, promises were made when we were walking that's just me and Charlie talking

Now and then I sometimes think of Charlie and how we thought we knew it all back then
Now I'd give anything to feel love from a child's heart again

No comments:

Post a Comment